This is the part where I tell you about all the great things I learned last year. I can tell you about how great 2010 was but the reality is far from it. For me there were some really big disappointments. Some on a personal level, some just professional, but this does not mean it was all bad. Oh no, we had many great things happen last year, like the “One Night Only” event where Kalen Delaney came out to teach us about plan cache; there was the SQL Saturdays that I spoke at; the PASS Summit, and I even made some good headway at my place of employment… Speaking of where I work:
There are some potential security issues with where I work. It’s on a few levels and well the short of it is I really cannot talk about it. What I can tell you is that I work with a product cradle to grave and I find it very interesting. I don’t mention this because my boss is reading this, I mention it because there is something to be said about I designed ‘x’ and now I can see it in use, I can see it make a difference. The big surprise I had at work this past week was that my boss reads my blog. No really he does. I am surprised by this, as he has a lot to do and well, to be honest, out of everyone there I think he is the person that least would want to know the information contained here. Please keep in mind, I will not change my opinion and the only time my posts are previewed is when someone has time to edit them before they post. A good example is this one I believe will be looked at the morning of 1/4/11 and I hope to post 1/4/11 as soon as I get it back.
So what sucked for me? Well here we go…
- The PASS Summit was great, but I have to admit that I just did not like all the homeless walking around that town. Here it is 2 months later and I am still thinking about it. There are a couple of people I know that are working on something that may help me feel better next summit.
- The Fall SSWUG Conference – Well with me taking a full time job, I just did not have time to get to this event. I really missed everyone there and I hope that if SSWUG finds me worthy of speaking I will be back in the Spring 2011.
- My Book – I sure could use some help writing. The style I had did not match what the publisher had, so we’re taking another cut. I think a couple articles may come out of it in the next couple months to give everyone a little preview. I sure wanted this done quicker but I want to make sure it’s done correctly.
- My Articles – I am down to about half of what I normally do.
- And there are some other items…
So I am taking a new approach. I am moving my goals back in to a closer time frame. I am going to set short check points that will help me reach the goals I want to achieve. This way I can see sooner when I am falling off track. We will see how this goes.
Now it wasn’t all bad, I started smoking again (OK Bad), but I have been smoke free for over 2 months. I had some great SQL Saturday’s and the PASS Summit allowed me to see many friends I have not seen in years. My first goal this year…
Get change management to be accepted by the people I work with, show them that we can automate and resolve change items with just a little more effort but the improvements this process will be huge down the road.